Home | History | Restaurant | Accommodation | Menus

Theme Nights | Bar | Wines | Christmas | Clients Comments | Contact Us

History

The Dog Inn
Over Peover (Inn-keeping with tradition.)

Welcome to the Dog Inn, here at Over Peover or Superior, which is a pleasant village, township and chapelry, in the Bucklow Hundred, 31/2 S.S.E. from Knutsford, which contains 2,929 acres. Over Peover was a parochial chapel of Rostherne parish. Peover Superior appears in the Doomsday Book of 1086 as Pevre. In a court roll of 1287 it appears as Ovre-Pevre, or Superior and in 1482 as Pevur. The name indicates that it was " The higher part of Peover' named from the river Peover Eye.

 

The ancient manor of Over Peover had been the residence of the Mainwaring's for thirty generations, when this noble family became extinct by the death of Sir Henry Mainwaring in 1797. Thomas Wetenhall succeeded to the estate, and was created a baronet in 1804. The following year he built the cottages, which we now know as The Dog Inn, but at this period, they were a grocer's shop, a shoemaker's and a small farmstead. It was not until 1860 that it became a beer house, when it became known as the 'New Inn' and kept by William Robinson. The Robinson family had lived here since it was built. At Peover Heath, in the nearby cottages, would be found many shoemakers, brick makers, and several tailors. The inn had been a farm of 17 acres prior to becoming a beer house. In 1861, William Robinson was aged 60, and lived here with his sons; George & William, and Ida Timperley who was a servant from Alderley Edge. In 1871, The 'New Inn' was home to Robert Daniels & his wife Ann who was a grocer here. In 1873 the 'New Inn' was kept by Daniel Clarke, his wife Alice, & five stepchildren. His brother Joseph, a coachman at Peover Hall also lived here. In 1890, William Dale from Ireland kept the inn, with his wife Emma from Knutsford; they also employed Elizabeth Corbishley aged 12, as a servant. In 1896 John Vaughan was here, followed in 1902 by Peter Jackson who remained here until 1920.
 

 

Lefery Night
Wrinkles on the face - the problem of many women and men solved!
e-odchudzanie.com.pl/hr/lefery-night-misljenja.html
Slim Butter
Discovered effective weapon weapon in the fight against cellulite. Have a look!
e-odchudzanie.com.pl/tr/slim-butter-goeruesler.html







Prior to this date, the Heaver Brothers of Bollongton Brewery owned the 'New Inn'. They amalgamated with Ind Coope Ltd in September 1920. Woolfs Ltd of Crew owned the inn after for a short period. The following year Henry. C. Plant lived here and was still here in the Second World War, when Peover hall became the headquarters in 1944 of General Patton, commander of the American Third Army. He and his men attended service at the village church and on returning from victory in Europe, he gave an American flag to hang in the nave alongside the Union Jack. Probably no other village church in England contains the "Stars & Stripes". Some eight years earlier the inn had become fully licensed. It was later named the "Gay Dog" and is now known as the Dog Inn. Peter Atkinson succeeded David Powell in 1970. Since then; Harry Hopwood (1971-86). Henry Norman Carney (1986-90). Frances & Jim Cunningham (1990-200). Present hosts are Steve and Rachel Wrigley.